Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Welcome to Wedding Madness!

Hi Folks! If you are reading this, it means you are a very special person. So special, in fact, that I am going to ask (and if that doesn't work, I'll beg!) you to help me plan my wedding!

So, here's what we have so far...

Location: Our house (more specifically, the soon-to-be-created back yard)
Date: 9-8-07. It's a saturday, the weekend after labor day.
Time: afternoon ceremony, evening dinner, then party all night. We'll get more specific later.

Guiding priciples: Abundance, Sustainability, Fun!
Colors: all of them
Decorations: fruits, veggies & flowers. We've gotten some big ceramic planters to plant, and then we'll have bowls & baskets of fruits & veggies strewn about. Plus cut flowers informally arranged in mason jars. Also lots of white christmas lights in the trees, probably some tiki torches & candles around too.

Master of Ceremony: Marty Ripp
Ceremony: Short & Secular
Brideguard:
Tombi Ericson
Charlotte Sather
Janet Marino
Melissa Whitman
Miriam Kahn
Groomsdudes:
Gabe Taylor
Nick Ericson
Bo Davis
Eric Mapes
Brian Mapes

Guests: about 180 on the list right now (!)
Invitations: Henrietta is going to help design a crafty invite, then I'll need some volunteers to help me make them and send them out.

Parking: in the pasture
Accomodations: camping in the pasture, plus a couple spare beds

Food: We'll do beef & salmon, probably a green salad. Guests will bring a potluck dish to add to the buffet.
Cake: I'm thinking cupcakes, actually. Carrot.
Cups & Plates: I'm thinking secondhand, thrift store mis-match. People can pick their favorite & take them home afterwards as a wedding favor.
silverware: probably rental
tableclothes: flowery secondhand sheets
bar(s): open & generous. We'll probably need to hire a bartender.
toast: Mead

entertainment: Howlinwood (Kris Rothenbuler's band) plus all our musical friends will hopefully sit in and jam. We'll probably also have a laptop or an ipod and some speakers on hand, so those with the inclination can DJ if the live music stops. See also: ceremony, food, bar(s)

Infrastructure rented:
1 - 30' x 60' tent canopy
1 - 4' round table for the cupcakes
17 - 8' rectangular tables
112 folding chairs

Infrastructure Planned:
Pergola (to be built by Dave & Cary) for ceremony, band.
Lawn (to be leveled & seeded by Me, Cary & My dad)
Bridge & path (for crossing the creek between the parking pasture & the wedding site)
Hay Bales for ceremony seating
Fire Pit for hanging around late at night
Porto-Potties for, well, you know

So, thats all I can think of right now. Actually, i'm pretty impressed, I didn't really think I had anywhere NEAR this much figured out until I started writing it down.

I know you are all shy and reluctant to give your opinions on stuff (ha!) but I'm ready to hear what you think of all this... AND your suggestions for making it better... AND the things I might be overlooking... AND the things you've seen at other weddings that you liked or didn't like... AND DEFINITELY any ideas for how to keep myself sane through the next 6 months!

8 comments:

Ericson said...

Just a thought you should send out cards w/invites requesting specific dishes to bring to potluck ie. hors de vours (sp), salad, bread, etc so that you get a good mix.

Addie said...

yeah, good point. thanks!

Janet said...

Also, ReSources (ReStore) checks out plates, cups and silverware to the public in an effort to discourage disposable use. I think it might actually be free....

Any excuse I have to indulge my inner Martha Stewart for you, let me know.

Addie said...

wow, I didn't know that the restore did plates & stuff, I'll definately have to check that out.

I'll be calling on your inner martha TONS to put this all together. Let me know if she wants to volunteer for anything in particular. :)

Harvey said...

Hi Addie,

Great job! You need to add one 4' (or 6' - can't remember for sure)round table to the list. For putting those cupcakes on. And while we're talking cupcakes - I don't like carrot, can we have some chocolate ones too?

Aimee said...

hey addie, i can't decide if i want to put myself out there for your bartender or not...i wanna have fun, too! BUT anything that you think i might be able to do for you, let me know. maybe i'll come out and give you a 30 minute massage or something like that. i'm no pro, but i can rub a back!!

Addie said...

Wow, Aimee, thanks! Your name did come up in a discussion about bartending, but we decided the same thing - that you should get to have fun as a guest. BUT - if you happen to know a bartender who'd like to moonlight for a hundred bucks or something, we'd like to talk to him/her/it. The beer and wine can basically be self-serve, but it'd be good to have somebody who knows what they are doing mixing drinks and managing the ice suply, slicing limes, and chasing the kids away, etc.

Addie said...

Pam - you are right! i'll add the cupcake table to the rental list tonight, after I double check the size.

And I'm SURE we can work in a chocolate cupcake or fifty, I like the idea of having an assortment. :)