Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Pergola? Whuzza Pergola?

This is a basic pergola:

Here's an especially beautiful pergola:

Ours will probably fall somewhere in between these two on the fanciness scale. We're thinking 14' x 14' is about the right dimensions. We're also planning on a floor of some kind, probably with pavers or bricks. For the actual wedding, it will be decorated with some ribbons and flowers and that sort of stuff. If we get it built early enough, I'll probably plant some fast growing vines on it, maybe scarlet runner beans or tall sweet peas. If necessary, we can tack some plastic or something to the rafters for rain protection.

After the ceremony, we'll set the band up under the same space and party on.

And after that, the long term plan is to grow hardy kiwis on it. Yum.

3 comments:

Gabe said...

I'd be happy to build/help build this for you guys. It looks like a day for the leveling, footings, and patio. Another day for assembly. I'll leave the froofery to you :)

Lets talk about building it soon. I'd like to come up there and bust it out sometime in May.

Addie said...

Thanks! That really means a lot to me. I'm sure Cary & Dave will appreciate an extra set of hands. I'll leave the scheuduling & other details to you & them...

Dan said...

If you need any more help with the construction/landscaping preparation let me know.