Monday, September 3, 2007

Cupcake Tower Decorated

I just finished decorating the cupcake tower this morning. I've been just working on it a little at a time, in my spare moments, for several weeks now. It feels good to have it done, and I think it turned out really nice.

It started a few weeks ago when Charlotte helped me put a coat of Gesso on it, because white cardboard just looks a bit too much like white cardboard.
(Wow - check out all those wedding dishes in the china cabinet!) After the paint dried, I applied clear vynil contact paper on the top side of all the circles, so they will be resistant to moisture - I'd hate to have a toppled cupcake lead to structural collapse! It also made the surface look much smoother and more uniform.

I started hot-glue-gunning the daisy trim to the edges of the circles after that. It was going pretty well until about a week ago when a bad case of operator error burnt quite a bit of skin off of my index finger. I took a break from the hot glue for a few days after that, which gave me time to glue the green & white striped paper to the supports.
This morning I decided I was sufficiently healed to finish the daisy trim, and now as you can see the whole thing is decorated & assembled. All that's left is to stack it with books to help the circles flatten out and the tabs settle in before the big day.

Here's a close up so you can see the striped paper and the daisies better:
It looks a little home-tech if you look at it closely - it's just cardboard covered with paper & glued on daisies, after all - but once it's covered with fabulously tasty organic cupcakes I think it'll be quite the stunning center peice!

1 comment:

Ericson said...

I think it turned out super cute! Your inner Martha is shining brightly