Wednesday, May 2, 2007

OMFG - The Guest List

You may have noticed that I haven't put anything new on the blog for the last couple weeks. Work ate my free time. But things are calming down, and I'm getting back to the wedding stuff - specifically the guest list. What a monster! I think I have basically figured out whom to invite, so now I just have to collect all their addresses. I already have most of you guys' - those are the easy ones. I may be calling/e-mailing you guys for info on our more far flung friends, so be prepared.

In the meantime, I guess I need to get started on the invitaions. I'm not sure how they are going to look yet... but I did have an idea for the RSVP cards I'd like your opinions on: I'm thinking of using random postcards. It seems like every vacation/trip I've ever gone on, I bought way more postcards than I actually sent to people. When I get home, I put them in my postcard box. It is pretty full, as you can imagine, and they are all really cool. I might still have to buy some more, I didn't count them, but I have lots - going back to my trip to england when I was about 14. I was thinking I could get a rubber stamp made up and hit the back of each one with a fill-in-the-blank RSVP message, address them to myself, apply postage, and enclose one post card with each invitaion. What do you think? Too wierd? Or would people get a kick out of it? I know I sure would get a kick out of seeing all those postcards coming back in the mail!

8 comments:

Janet said...

I like the postcard idea. You could hit Henderson's books and pick up some of their REALLY bizarre old ones if you need more. Or ask Steve Stimson.

Addie said...

Or Dave Mapes, I bet he's got a postcard or two in his collection.

Cary had a good idea,we could have a big board or something at the wedding with all the postcards tacked up to it. Also put a little message on each of the postcards, explaining that each one is an individual, just like each of our guests, and we look forward to seeing all of them together at the wedding. Then people could see how different and cool all the postcards are, not just the one they personally received.

Aimee said...

What an awesome idea, Addie! I don't think it would be too weird...it's very original and very appropriate for you and Cary. You could get an address stamp made, also. You can also buy blank rubber stamps that you can carve yourself, which you could use for a cool design to put on your invites.

Addie said...

I'm glad you guys are all down with the postcard idea. I think I'll go with it. Of course, we still gotta make the actual invitations...

I had thought about making potato stamps for the invites, but I didn't know you could get blank rubber ones - that sounds fun. Thanks for the suggestion! Now- what would we carve? Skull & crossbones, flowers, hearts, demons, kittens... ???

Janet said...

You can buy the really soft rubber stamping stuff to carve at Stampadoodle. You could also have a PDF made into a stamp there. They charge by the square inch OR you could do a block print, which is a harder material but holds greater detail. You could come up with the general design and have Bo carve it or something. I have all the tools. You use a brayer (the little ink roller) to apply the ink. It's REALLY fun.

Addie said...

Once I get some ideas/materials/text together, you guys up for an invitation making sweatshop, er, I mean, party?

Aimee said...

i'm down with helping, but i charge by the hour. i was going to suggest that you insert the post cards at random so you never know who's sending which RSVP!

Addie said...

Yes, it will be a mystery...until we turn them over and read them! :)

BTW, I counted up my postcard stash: 102. Way more than we need - there are only 80-some addresses on the list.