Thursday, June 14, 2007

Bridesmaids' dresses revisited

So, this morning on my way to work there was a story on the radio about how Target had just come out with a line of bridal and bridesmaids' dresses that were getting rave reviews from fashion types and were also very affordable, yada yada. Anyway, I checked it out on their website, and there are some really cute dresses in the line, that I could really see working for us. I've been really sort of stumped on how to dress you guys for a while now, since the dress I got is sooooo much more formal and foofy than I had anticipated. Separates are still in the running, the skirt part is easy but I've found it really hard to find good dressy tops. One option I considered was to decide on a skirt and have you all get the same one, and then let you each get your own top in whatever color or style you want, but my fear is that we'd end up looking TOO miss-matched. What do you think, could that work? I'm also concerned about affordability - I don't want to pick something that takes too big a bite out of your budgets, because that would be mean.

So, anyway, here's what they have at Target. THese first three are from the aforementioned new bridal collection, and each cost $160. This is my favorite, it's called the Trapunto Bell Dress.
This one is a little fluffier, it's the Tulle Princess Dress.
This one is pretty snazzy, I like the top/neckline a lot, although I'm not sure how it would work for those of you with larger bossoms. The belt thing is detachable. It's the Classic Princess Dress.

These next two are not officially part of the bridal collection, but they look like they could be dressed up easily with the right accessories. They have the advantage of being REALLY cheap and also somewhat easier to wear after the wedding. This one is the Long Silk Chiffon Faux-Wrap Dress and it only costs $60.
This one is called the Long Linen Maxi Dress and it's only $23! It clearly needs a stout slip, as noted by several of the commenters. It only comes in size 2-14 though.
Initially I put all these pictures up in black (there are a few other colors available in most of these designs) so they would be easier to compare. But then I got to thinking, why not have you all wear black? Black is a good color on pretty much everyone, the guys are wearing black tuxes, and black always looks elegant. On the other hand, it might look kind of somber & serious... Ack! too many choices!

Questions, Comments, Rants, Raves, Alternative ideas? Let me hear it!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Let's wear all black -- AWESOME>

For a little color accent, we could each wear a shawl (same style, in a color of our own choosing) and wear a matching flower in our hair. Pretty pretty

Addie said...

OOH, I like that! I guess really it isn't TOO different from the original idea of each of you in matching black skirts with a dif color top, which helps allay my fears that it would look too somber to have you guys in black.

The flowers should match the color of the shawl you were each wearing, but they wouldn't have to all be the same type... I think it would be cool to have, say, blue asters, green zinnias, red gladiolas, yellow roses, and purple horseshoes, I mean dahlias. :)

The flowers could also match the boutineer of the groomsdude that you walk with!

Ericson said...

I like the shawl idea as well. $160 is a little steep for me but if it's black it could work ok for other things. Have you tried Macy's and Maripoa. Niether place would have official briedsmaids dresses, but have formal wear and resonable prices.

Addie said...

I did look at Macy's - most of the reasonably nice-looking dresses were overpriced, and the reasonably-prices ones were kinda skanky.

I looked for Mariposa, but they don't seem to have a website, or at least not one that I could find. I guess I could go out to the mall, but I'm lazy.

Nordstoms and David's Bridal have a few good options too, a little later here I'll put up a new post with some more choices that I have bookmarked.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

nice range!! Shawls and Scarves