Friday, May 25, 2007

Invitation Text

Soooo... it's the friday before memorial day, a gorgeous sunny day outside, and I'm finding it quite difficult to motivate myself to do more than the minimum at work. So, I started thinking about invitation wording. I still don't have the design exactly worked out, but I think I'll just go to the paper store this weekend and hope that inspiration hits.

Anyway, what do you think of doing the invitation in haiku? See below:

Addie and Cary
Invite you to attend their
September wedding

Nine-eight-oh-seven
Saturday ceremony
Starts at two o’clock.

Celebrate with us
Abundance, friendship and love
Life is so very good.

Dinner will be served
Meat and fish from us for you
Please bring a side dish.

Musicians perform.
You are talented too! Please
bring your instruments.

Campfire and friendship,
Wine, beer and liquor, all here.
There is room to camp.

Music and dancing
Will continue all night long
Under starry skies.

Yeah, it's a little clunky, I might need to refine my verses a bit... this is just a first draft that I put together pretty quickly. I like it a lot better than the standard "We are pleased to cordially invite you to join us to celebrate our commitment on such-and-such date" wedding invitation BS though.

Some further explanitory text would have to be included on the back or somewhere, probably just in regular prose tho! Things like where we are registered (currently nowhere - I better get on that), how to get in touch with us, the assignment of a potluck dish to bring, and a map of how to get to the house, etc.


Here's what I'm thinking of having made into a stamp to put on the RSVP Postcards:

Just like you, our guests, these RSVP postcards are each unique and special to us. We can’t wait to see all of you together again at our wedding! Please fill in the blanks below and drop this card in the mail before July 15th. Thanks!

□Yes! _________members of the ______________________ household will join you on September 8th, 2007.

We prefer to eat (please indicate one per person):
________ wild-caught BBQ’d Pacific salmon
________ sustainably raised Pobst beef hamburgers

Will you be camping overnight for at least one night, if not more? ___yes ___no

□ No, sadly, no-one from the ______________________ household will be attending the wedding.

Update: Invitation Prototype! I stopped at Paper Zone on my way home on Friday and got card blanks, envelopes, floral accent paper, and a cool stamp. This is what I made:

You can't really tell from the picture, but the cardstock is iridescent. The envelopes are lavender and also a bit sparkley. The floral strip will be cut straighter and glued down more evenly in the finished ones, but this is more or less what I think they'll look like.

Your comments??

5 comments:

Janet Marino said...

Regarding the invitations, ADI will cut all your cardstock ( and your little flowery strips) to size in about 10 seconds and I have a tool for scoring (to make it fold easily without cracking) and folding. Let me know when you're ready to go into production. I have one more effect I'd like to show you. I'll try to bring in to Charlotte's tonight.

Addie said...

Actually, the card stock comes pre-scored, and it's already cut to size (A7) - its pretty nifty stuff. Luckily it was on clearance! I WILL probably take the floral paper in to ADI to get it cut though, because it IS so nice when they do it.

I look forward to talking to you about it tonight at Charlottes!

Jeny Bird said...

They look great! The stamp is my favorite part, the ripeness of life love and pears! Yay!

Addie said...

Well, I ordered the stamp yesterday, it should be done by Friday at 5 pm. I also picked up some embossing powder, and and seal (for wax) in the shape of a pear. I think all I need now is postage stamps and we'll be ready for assembly, maybe this weekend? Text is still up in the air... as Cary so delicately put it, "maybe haiku is a bit too restrictive" of a format for an invitation. THe longer I've thought about it, the more I think he's right.

Aimee said...

i love your invitation design! it's simplicity is perfect and well stated. i can't wait to get one in the mail!