Tuesday, May 8, 2007

It's all about the dress, isn't it?

I (gasp) made an appointment today to go to David's Bridal in Burlington (Aaaaaggghh!) and try on wedding dresses. The appointment is for Monday, May 21st at 5 pm. My mom is going to go with me, and if any of you bridesmaids are available let me know. It's only for an hour, but from what I've read/heard about the process, they truss you up in some bridal undies and then just sort of roll you from dress to dress to dress until you are either screaming for it to stop or have made a choice. I think I can take about an hour of that, if I really work on mentally preparing myself for the next two weeks. If we need more time, we can make another appointment for a few days later, so there's a little recovery time in between.

I know, I really talked some talk about having a dress custom made by a bellingham seamstress out of hemp silk or something, but the truth of the matter is I don't have the time, nor probably the money, to really pull off that sort of decision-intensive process. So I am hearby admiting that I can't walk my talk, and going for the quick & dirty wedding industry consumer option. I'll make up for it somehow...

Anyhow, I'll come back a little later with some pictures of dresses that aren't awful, and you can tell me what you think. Be sure to critic the models too, 'cuz that is the most fun part of looking at these. Specifically, why do they all look constipated, arrogant, undead and/or extremely dramatic? Or sometimes they look like they are trying to escape a horrible doom. Also, what is with using naked men as props? Seriously. How sexist is that?

5 comments:

Janet said...

I really, really hate to say it, but I like the bridal fashions in the J. Crew catalog. Very Simple, many colors, reasonably priced.

Ericson said...

I just saw an ad today for the davids bridal sale you might check when that finishes. It would be lame if the appt. was after the sale

Addie said...

The sale goes through the 21st, so I guess if we pick something that day we should get the sale price.

I didn't even know JCrew did bridal fashions, I'll check that out.

Addie said...

Hey, I looked at the JCrew line up, and besides some nice bridal types (not dissimilar to some of what you see in the above post) they also have some smokin' clearance deals on some nice bridesmaid type dresses. I think with the boys all wearing Tuxes we may need to step up a level or two from the hemp separates. Can't go having them outdo us! I guess I should do a new post so we can start a discussion about that...

Aimee said...

Although I know it can be expensive, I just want to put out there that, with the right person, a dress can be made rather quickly. My dress was made in about two weeks, and that was with all the trimmings. The main part of the dress was finished in only a couple of days, and I think the whole thing cost about $300, which, I think is less than you'd pay at a bridal boutique.
The trick is finding good deals on the fabrics you want and a good seamstress who works fast, efficiently, and does quality work.
The downside: not being able to try on the pattern you like before having the dress made.
I guess I've contributed $0.04 now.