Monday, August 6, 2007

Sanitation & Silverware

I've reserved 2 port-o-potties from SSC for the wedding. I didn't want to leave something so important to the last minute, if you know what I mean. :) Our septic system would be way over-taxed by all those guests. I also ordered 2 big bottle & can recycling totes and 2 of those food waste recycling totes (like they have at the farmer's market) so we should be well situated on the sanitation & recycling front.

I'm thinking I'll get biodegradable utensils so it can just be tossed in with the food waste. I was going to have real metal silverware but I haven't had as much luck finding it at yard sales as I have with plates & cups. Besides, I can get 50 forks, knives or spoons for about $3, so they are much cheaper than renting silverware. I dunno though, maybe I should just rent real metal utensils, because plastic-ish untensils generally suck. Anybody got any opinions?

5 comments:

Aimee said...

have you looked at the salvation army or the goodwill for metal flatware? if you're not looking for anything in particular you could find a lot of what you need at one of those two places. i recommend the salvation army first cuz they're waaaaaayy cheaper, but the goodwill probably has some deals as well.

Addie said...

I haven't gone over to the Salvation Army, but I've looked at the Goodwill and at Value Village. Maybe I should try the Goodwill & Salvation Army here in Skagit, as well as the Bham SA before I give up...

Keeley said...

A friend did the biodegradable flatware and cups at her wedding last month, and had the guests throw it all in the food+ bin. Work out ok. The biodegradable stuff is actually stronger than plastic. You can check it out at the Swan Cafe in teh Co-op if you haven't had a feel of it yet. Order yourself a three salad plate and a fork to go!

Addie said...

actually there's the remains of a 3-salad plate (including the biodegradeable fork) in my fridge right now! They are strong, there's no problem there. My only worry is that they will seem out of place with the hodgepodge ceramic plates, glasses & mugs I've collected. It's only .44 per utensil to rent the metal ones - maybe I should just go ahead and do that.

On the other hand, can anything really be out of place in a hodgepodge?

Addie said...

Hey, so my co-worker Debbie awesomly offered to loan me two large sets of silveware that she has, which puts me about half-way to having enough. AAAANNNDDD gives me the idea to hit up a few other folks who might have silverware I can borrow - which is the perfect solution to the silverware problem and fits perfectly with my hodgepodge theme. Thanks Debbie!

So, now, anybody got a box of silver I can borrow?